Asbestos risk after Ballymena laundry fire

Residents in the immediate vicinity of a disused laundry in Ballymena have been advised of an asbestos risk after a fire at the building On Tuesday afternoon.

Thirty homes were evacuated while the fire was controlled, and while residents were allowed to return to their homes today, they have been advised to keep windows and doors closed because of a potential asbestos risk.

Asbestos exposure can result in life threatening illnesses such as mesothelioma - an aggressive cancer. There can be a significant delay between the period of exposure to asbestos and the symptoms of illness appearing. Anyone who has worked with asbestos or in a building later found to have contained damaged asbestos materials should contact a doctor.

If you live in Northern Ireland and have been diagnosed with an illness relating to asbestos exposure, you may want to speak to an asbestos claims solicitor to discuss a possible claim for compensation. Contact one of the claims solicitors at Wilson Nesbitt in Belfast by calling 0800 840 9289

Click here to read other asbestos related news stories.