Council tenants waited 4 months for asbestos removal

By Gillian Crotty

A couple who moved into a Council house discovered hazardous asbestos material around the boiler, and despite notifying the council were allowed to continue living there even though council officers refused to enter the premises.

It was discovered that the material in the boiler cupboard in the house occupied by Tania and Richard Yeomans was in fact 'brown asbestos' or 'Armosite', which is particularly dangerous and requires a Government licence for removal. The cupboard was sealed up and it took 4 months in total from the time the council was notified until the asbestos material was removed. Council officers who visited the premises after the notification was made refused to enter the premises and instead talked to Mr and Mrs Yeoman through the window.

The couple were given £2,600 compensation after nearly all the clothes and towels taken from the cupboard were found to be contaminated with asbestos fibres, and they are now seeking further compensation.

Exposure to asbestos can result in a number of illnesses such as pleural plaques, mesothelioma and other asbestos related diseases. It can take years for the exposure to result in an illness, and anyone who is aware that they have been in contact with asbestos should consult their GP immediately.

If you require legal advice from a solicitor specialising in asbestos illness compensation in Northern Ireland, contact Wilson Nesbitt in Belfast by calling 0800 840 9289.