Mesothelioma case snowballs

A family has been awarded over £100,000 in compensation following the death of the father from mesothelioma two years ago.

Frank Ede, from Hull, died in July 2005 aged 75 from the disease, which he developed after being exposed to asbestos during his time working the shipbuilders the Drypool Group.

He worked with asbestos as a burner and plater for the Drypool Group from 1943 to 1976 and was in contact with asbestos every day. Despite this, his employers never warned him that the substance was hazardous. He told his son that workers would even have 'snowball fights' with lumps of asbestos during their lunch breaks in the summer time.

Mr Ede was diagnosed with mesothelioma in November 2004.

Nicola Harrison, solicitor for the Ede family, said: "In the past employers failed to take the necessary safeguards to protect their workers from the effects of asbestos dust., and now people like Frank and his family are paying the price."

Anyone working in Britain and Northern Ireland who may have been affected by asbestos issues should contact their solicitors.



Contact us for legal advice