NI car crime victims sued by police

It has been reported by the BBC that some victims of car theft in Northern Ireland are being sued by police officers who were injured during the retrieval of the cars - usually involving a police chase, and at times a collision between the stolen car and the police vehicle.

Police officers who are injured in a road traffic accident while working can bring a claim through the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB), and while the MIB can try to recover the costs from the person who actually stole the car, it is most likely that the criminal will not be able to cover the damages and costs. The insurance company may therefore treat the collision as an 'incident' under the holders insurance policy, affecting their no-claims bonus, and causing their premiums to go up.

The query was raised by Stormont's justice committee after SDLP MLA Alban Maginness brought it to their attention in response to two constituents who were facing such claims. The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) could not confirm how many such claims of compensation were made by their offers against the owners of stolen vehicles, saying it was "a private matter between the officer and the solicitor."

If you have been injured in a road traffic accident in Northern Ireland, and require legal advice in respect of a possible claim for compensation to cover your medical bills, loss of earnings, and any other loss, contact one of the claims solicitors at Wilson Nesbitt in Belfast by calling 0800 840 9289.