Legal action over wife exposed to asbestos dust from clothes

By Gillian Crotty

A landmark legal case has been launched by the son of a woman who died from mesothelioma at the age of 86, after years of exposure to asbestos dust on her husband's clothes.

Mary Pointer, did in April 2014, and an inquest concluded that she had died from the asbestos related lung disease, mesothelioma. Prior to her death Mrs Pointer had enlisted the help of an asbestos claims solicitor to ascertain how she had been exposed to the dust.

Her husband had worked for the Electricity Generating Board in Southampton between 1955 to 1970 and Mrs Pointer said his trousers and coat would be layered with asbestos dust. Also, because the family did not have a plumbed in bath or shower her husband would sometimes go straight to bed with asbestos dust still in his hair. For over 10 years Mrs Pointer shook her husband's clothes and their bed sheets before cleaning, releasing asbestos dust into the air.

The power station was allocated to PowerGen, now called Eon, when the electricity board was privatised in 1989. Mrs Pointer's son, Darryl, has now brought legal action against Eon, saying there were no warnings of the dangers of asbestos dust, and that other families of employees will be affected too.

If you have suffered injury or loss as a result of exposure to asbestos in Northern Ireland, contact one of the asbestos claims solicitors at Wilson Nesbitt in Belfast by calling 0800 840 9289.

Or submit your details for a callback at a time of your convenience by clicking here.